Friday, February 8, 2008

Kangaroos know how to care


We were able to enjoy Kangaroo Care for the first time on Wednesday night. Talk about dynamite - it's funny in that I would have never imagined the joy that my heart felt in being able to hold (and sleep a bit) with my son in my arms.

Kangaroo Care is just a simple way of connecting mother or father to the baby in a natural way by holding the baby directly on the parent's chest, skin-to-skin. The need for skin-to-skin contact is to help the preemie to maintain body temperature as they are unable to do this yet on their own. (Sometimes, warmed blankets are used to further assist the warmth.) Generally, the baby seems warmer than yourself, which makes this a further relaxing experience.


On our first available chance, Elaine got the pleasure of going first and she held him for 1 1/2 hours just before dinner and shift change. Jack Henry fussed and fussed and fussed as he was pulled out of the isolet until he was placed on Elaine. As if a magic off-button for crying was clicked, he just sank into Elaine and slept. Occassionally, he would wiggle a bit due to the irritation of the CPAP (breathing tubes in his nose). Yet, everything went perfectly smooth.


Later that night, I was able to get my turn. Since it was 2 AM due to a quick run home for some supplies, I was good and ready to hold Jack Henry and take a nice nap in the chair. Let's just say it was blissful. An hour or two passed as if it was a blink of an eye. He slept so peacefully and I was able to build confidence in holding something so tiny and fragile.

This will be a memory that I cherish forever.

No comments: